Roof Replacing Vs. Repair? Which Is The Best Option?
This is one major choice that you will have to make when there are problems on your roof. While most people will lean to repairing the damaged part and moving on with life, it is not that straightforward. The cost of repairing some parts of the roofs has risen over the years, and so has the cost of replacing the entire structure. Well deciding between these two can be done by looking into a couple of defining aspects. Read on and find out more;
- It is important to look at the age of your roof before anything else. While several things can cause problems, sometimes they may be a sign that your roof is ageing and requires a renewal. Different roof types have their expected life-spans, and most of them will last between 15- 30 years. If the roof is between fourteen and .. or so years old but still in excellent condition, then repairs still be the viable option. However, roofs that are past twenty five years old are not suitable for repair, and it is advisable to replace them rather than having a repair contractor at your place every single week.
- The extent of damage is another determinant when deciding to replace or repair. If there is some damage such as a leak, a professional will inspect and check out the extent of it. If the leak is isolated, a repair might work, but if the roof is leaking in many places, a replacement might be in order.
- You should also look at the time you are preparing to stay in that home. If you have plans of selling it in a couple of years, and the roof is in top condition, repairs will be your best choice to avoid the financial implication of installing a new one.
- There is an option of installing a new roof over an existing one rather than doing it from scratch, and it also has some implications. Building codes allow one to roof up to two layers since additional layers could become too heavy for the building.
Choosing A Roof Repair Contractor
All the information about roof repairs has been presented above, and you will be faced with the task of selecting the best roof repair contractor in your area. You will come across several of them telling you why they are the best option but do not fall for this. Selecting one can be done by checking on a couple of things and here are some of them;
- It is advisable to go local. Go for businesses that have a good reputation in Dublin since they are familiar with the challenges affecting your roof.
- Experience is key. Roofing repair contractors that have been in the industry for long are your desired option since they have dealt with different scenarios and can offer a proper solution to your roofing problems.
- All roofers will tell you how good their work is but you have to prove this. Ask for references and people who have worked with them for more information on how they operate. If most people were satisfied with their work, then the chances are that they are good at what they do.
- Compare and contrast the proposals offered by various contractors before choosing one. This is the best way to pick a suitable contractor since you can determine the best one out of the ones available. Assess how they approach the problem at hand and amount they quote before making a choice.
- Licencing and insurance is another important thing to look at. They matter since there are many risks associated with roofing repair jobs. You need to ensure that the contractors are insured and they also have a clause to cover for damages around your home during repair.
- Lastly, find out whether they offer emergency services. Your roofing problems might come when you do not expect, and it is important for the contractor to deal with such situations as soon as possible.
A few important things have been pointed out about roofing repair work, and you must have an idea on how to go about such problems. The typical types of damages have been presented and do not be surprised when you start seeing certain things on your roof. All in all, ensure that you plan for your roof repair project well and find a dependable professional who will work on it diligently.